Wednesday, May 17, 2006

FUN

Today I watched the Gnomon DVD "creating unique environments" with Scott Robertson.
Basically, he scans some very quick marker drawings, loads them into one file in Photoshop, plays with layersettings and -opactity, crops a part of the whole mess that looks exciting to him and starts painting. The whole prcess is very happy-accident based and you never really know what you'll end up with..
Well he seemed to have tons of fun doing these sketches, so I tried it myself. After running into some problems (because I'm using Painter7, he's using PS:CS), I finally "got it" and did two speedpaintings. It was amazing and so much fun. I can't believe I never tried something like that before...

Here's the markermess for the first one:


And what it looked like a good 30 minutes later:


...I was HOOKED.
So I did another one.

Markers:


One hour later:



This is fucking awesome. It makes me paint things I would've never thought of myself. It really tickles my imagination and forces me to be creative.
Thanks to my brother (I think it was him..?) who gave me those markers for christmas years ago.. I never really used them up until now. Thanks man!

More to come!

7 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

okay alter,

hab auch nicht die ├╝berzeit immoment aber lass mal mailen oder skypen oder so... ├╝ber blog reden ist n bissl komisch wa?

bis die tage,
alex

12:11 PM  
Blogger Alex D said...

*applauds

ich finds subba.

4:21 PM  
Blogger tekkoman said...

excellent idea!
we have that dvd here at work
but your post already explains the process. i'll try some myself.
also: good stuff on this blog, me likes.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous nic said...

Tight!! I think I have that DVD flying around somewhere (havent had time to watch all the Gnomon stuff yet)....

maybe Ill try it as well, looks fun!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous timo said...

Mal sehen, ob das Schiff genauso lange braucht;-)

1:06 PM  
Blogger rodrigo said...

It's gold when you come across another artist's process, tips and whatever... i mean i'm getting excited about it just seeing the results.
beautiful work.

10:23 AM  
Blogger islandarts said...

I love your marker stuff (all of your stuff actually), it's brilliant!

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home